One of a Kind + My 5 Favorite Thrift Shops in Dallas
Buffalo Exchange Dress by PreLoved (similar here, here, here) | Steve Madden Pumps | Kendra Scott Necklace and Earrings | Loren Hope Cuff | OPI Nail Polish
Don't you like to have a couple things that are just yours? I know I do! I scored this dress a couple years ago, when I was pilfering through a rack at Buffalo Exchange. It's actually a size too small, but I just HAD to have it! The bodice and lining are made from old curtains and the front and back panels are made from some wool trousers. Talk about unique!
To find uncommon pieces, I often look to thrift stores. If I'm being completely honest, my favorite thrift shops are in Austin, Texas and Williamsburg, New York; however, Dallas has some pretty cool places! See my top 5, below!
1. Buffalo Exchange. This is where I found my dress, so I have to give it some credit. For me personally, you have to reallllly look to find something good like this. In my opinion most of it is just worn-out brand names.It's always fun to look at , with the potential to find a treasure, though!
2. Lula B's. There are two locations of this store- the Design District and Deep Ellum. One is Lula B's East and one is Lula B's West. I'm directionally challenged, it's late at night, and can't remember which is which, but y'all understand, right?;) I first went to the design district location back when I was in high school. It has everything from shoes, to decor, to that super cool Olson Twin fur jacket you've always wanted.
3. Dolly Python. Similar to Lula B's, this place has it all and has a catchy name. It's fun to browse, even if you don't find anything you can't live without!
4. Benefit Thrift Store. When I'm shopping for charity, I can justify spending just about anything. Benefit is great, because it supports the Genesis womens shelter. What else could you want from a thrift shop?!
5. The Vintage Martini. If you're looking for some cool pieces from all time periods and labels, come here! Their product and quality is impeccable!
I LOVE finding original pieces. I've gotten a lot better throughout the years, but I honestly hate being copied. Isn't that weird? I am a fashion blogger and give outfit advice, after all! Usually if I am blatantly copying someone I give them credit, etc. Nowadays, if I try out a trend, I put my own spin on it and encourage you to do so too! In high school, I had a spiral notebook that I wrote down every single outfit I wore and outfits I anticipated to wear in the future. I did this so I wouldn't be an outfit repeater and so no one would show up wearing the same thing, but also so I could brainstorm ways of being different. (I may not have won best dressed, but being on the student council, let's just say that I knew it was close;) ) Anyway, if you copy me today, I'll definitely take it as a compliment- thanks for the advice, Coco!
Honestly I think this attitude of being original came from following the crown in middle school. My favorite outfit was a pair of American Eagle jeans (you know, Dawson's Creek Style), a belt made of cartoon images, and some cheesy graphic tee- either my AE Mr. Mustard's tee or a Aeropostale shirt that said "you're so corny" with a corn husk printed on it. I probably wore it once a week, because that's what everyone was wearing. I just wanted to fit in!
I literally have nightmares of those outfits- point being, just be yourself! You are perfect as you are and if you try to do what everyone else is doing, you'll probably look back at hate it!
Here's your pinnable image, if you want to save it for later on a pinterest board! You can follow me and all my pinning, here!
I feel like today's post was such a ramble,y'all Sorry! So, do you have any favorite thrift stores? How do you stay true to yourself?
"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:14
P.S. You have 3 days left to enter my NYFW giveaway! Scroll to the bottom of this post for details!
Like what you read? Click here to subscribe and receive every post in your inbox!